Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas trees and city lights


So we managed to get our christmas tree up, in the stand and watered. We put on the christmas tunes and strung it up with lights and orbs and other assorted shiny things. We drank some eggnog and felt utterly surrounded by the christmas spirit.

Then, later that night... Actually, to get technical, morning... I heard a crash. At first, Ithought maybe it was Santa Claus, but then I remembered it was a bit early for that. And the realization set in.
"Honey," I said, panicking.
"Honey, the tree,"
"hmm? OH!" Brandon jumped out of bed and rushed into the living room.
"It didn't get the T.V.," He yelled to me. Phew, that was a relief. The tree had been dangerously close to our 30 inch. widescreeen TV, which had been a birthday gift from my Dad.
I crawled out of bed and made the short trip into the living room.
There it lay, our grand christmas tree, flat on the ground and surrounded by broken glass.We both just stood there, and looked at it. The question loomed in the air... what now?
I glanced at the clock. 4:53 am. Were we really going to clean this up and lift the tree back up at 4:53 am? The answer was clear to me.
"Just leave it there," I said sleepily.
"Put a towel under the stand to soak up the water,"
And so it was, the fate of our tree, to lay on its face on the ground for the next several days.


In the morning, Brandon had work and I had packing and cleaning to do, and that evening I left for Kelowna airport.

I left around around 6:30, and was at the airport by abouy 7:15. Check in and security went fairly smoothly, although I beeped for the first tiime in my life, thanks to my boots. I had to take my shoes off and get patted down and everything. It was certainly a different experience. Then, after going through security around 7:40, I found out my flight was delayed by about 20 minutes. And then I found out my flight was delayed by another 40 minutes. By the time I actually boarded it was already 8:50, and we didnt arrive until 9:50.

While I was on the plane, I sat in the window seat, and was joined by a middle-aged couple. They were very sweet, and I remember that the woman mentioned to me that they'd been together for 20 years. They seemed really happy, and I was happy for them.

They dimmed the lights, because it was an evening flight, which gave a really vivid view of the city lights below, expecially as I was coming in to Vancouver. It was really calming, watching the busy lights from so far away. I couldn't help but see how the city looked like a circut board, thousands of tiny little pieces, infinitely connected and interlocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment